Monday, June 2, 2014

The One Cup, One Bowl No Mess Chocolate Cake

So here i am again, back on my feet after moving into our new house and baking again.
To me, to be able to cook for my family is a privilege  I dreamt about so many times while sitting at the office, juggling invoices, bills, clients... always in the back of my head and in my heart I had the living desire to be able to look after my family with my own hands, in my own time and I thank God everyday for the privilege to serve them and take care of them and be available for them when they need me. It is not always an easy cruise but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Today I made a chocolate cake. I love making this cake because it only needs a few utensils, which makes it a mess free cake. Mrs. D (dear friend of mine) calls it The One Cup, One Bowl, No Mess Chocolate Cake, but on top of all the wonders of little dishwashing, it is a delicious soft and moist chocolate cake, that you can have with ice cream, chocolate fudge or any other topping you like. 
 
I am not great with pictures though I did my best with them, so I will try to explain this recipe as best as I can so you can make this yummy cake at home too.
 
The One Cup, One Bowl No Mess Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups of self raising flour
  • 2 cups of white sugar
  • 1 cup of cocoa powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp of instant coffee (optional, it only makes it richer and darker)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of buttermilk (check the notes to learn how to make buttermilk in case you don't have the bought one)
  • 1 cup of vegetable oil (can be replaced with melted butter or margarine)
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
 
 
Method:
  • Preheat your oven at 150 C° (This would be about 300F°. This is a slow bake cake so the temperature has to be low)
  • In a large bowl place all the dry ingredients and mix them with a whisk or a spoon and then add one by one all the wet ingredients. (Add them in the order they appear in the ingredients list)
 
 
 
 
 
  • Grease a rectangle pyrex and then sprinkle some flour on it so your cake doesn't stick to the bottom and the sides.
 
 
 
 
 
  • Bake for 50 minutes and then check with a skewer if it is ready. (you know... it has to come out clean) If it is not, then bake for another ten minutes and check again until is ready.
  • Let cool... or not. This cake is good hot with fudge and vanilla ice cream or cold with buttercream, whipped cream...  or any other topping you want to put on it...let your imagination fly!
 
Note: To make buttermilk place in measuring cup one tablespoon of vinegar (or lime juice) and fill it up with milk to make one cup.
 
I hope you find the time to make this cake and enjoy it with your friends and families and please let me know how did it come out and what did you top it with.
 
See you soon...
 


2 comments:

  1. Aww this brings back such good memories when we had this for dessert one night when we were over there- the cake, the choc fudge icing, and topped off with your amazing homemade vanilla icecream- ahh such goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would remember!!! that cake was right after the BOMB COFFEE!!!! aaawww good sweet memories!!!

      Delete