Friday, March 27, 2015

Homemade Ragu Recipe

Honoring my Italian roots this time I am going to show you how to make a Homemade Ragú sauce. I absolutely love this recipe because is so simple to make and it goes a long way when it come to versatility. You can make this sauce as I am showing you in the recipe below or you can substitute the herbs for others such as basil, or add some cinnamon, cloves  and bay leaves for a Mediterranean  twist, or maybe some mushrooms  for an Italian touch. 

As I grew up I have always had at home this same sauce but instead of oregano and rosemary, the original recipe, the one that only "la nonna" can make,  calls for a handful of basil and it turns up absolutely delicious, but... I like to use this sauce to mix with other things in order to get different dishes and basil doesn't always go well with some things and that is why i am bringing you the rock bottom recipe for a homemade Ragú that I assure will get you out of any midweek dinner crisis. If you know what I mean ;)

I know that there are many commercial brands that sell this type of sauce, and maybe you are asking yourself why would you spend your time making something you can easily buy? The reason for me is a no brainer...My family! I want to give them the best I can possibly put on their plates and  there is a bonus to it too... once you try the freshness of a Homemade Ragu Sauce, you will never go  back to the metallic taste of the commercial ones. Just give it a try.
 
 
Ingredients
  • 3 medium size onions chopped roughly
  • 2 kg. (4 pounds) of fresh tomatoes chopped roughly
  • 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp of tomato paste
  • 1 cup of beef or chicken broth
  • 3 or 4 oregano stalks and the same of rosemary
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

Method
  • In a large pan heat the oil and fry the onions until soft and golden brown (not burnt)
  • Add garlic and tomato paste stirring so it doesn't burn at the bottom of the pan.
  • Dump in the tomatoes, chicken or beef broth and the herbs stalks and all. (there is lots of flavor in the stalks, we'll get them out later)
  • When it starts boiling set the burner at the lowest and just let it simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
 
*Notice that I haven't added any salt just yet, this is on purpose given that I am not a chef, I rather be safe than salty, so I add it at the end.
 
  • Take out the stalks of the herbs you put in, the leaves most likely fell in the sauce, that's fine. 

*I have in my kitchen a stick blender, but if you don't, you can get the same results with a regular blender or a food processor.
 
So... blend everything until you have a smooth sauce now try it with a teaspoon and add salt and pepper to taste...
 
Taaaahh Daaaahhh!!!!!
 
Homemade Ragu... done!

 
Well, I hope you enjoyed this recipe, and let me know what dishes have you created using this same sauce.
 
See you soon and buon appetito! 




 

4 comments:

  1. Hola!!! Una pregunta, en que momento echo la carne? Que deliciosa y que sana se ve este Ragu!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Ginita! Esta salsa a mi me sirve para hacer varios platos entonces yo no le pongo carne a la salsa, pero por ejemplo si un dia quiero hacer bolognesa, entonces frio un poco de carne molida, la sazono con sal, pimiemta y orégano molido y le hecho la salsa. Igual hago con pollito frito y me queda como un estofadito. Lo bueno de esta salsa es q dependiemdo de como sazones lo que le vas a echar, la salsa se adapta al sabor de lo q estas cocinando, osea que podrias usar este mismo Ragu 4 dias seguidos y aun asi no sentir q estas comiendo lo mismo. Grcias por leerme ah!

      Delete
    2. Ahhh ok Amanda, que buena idea!! Y también se le puede e bar aparte albahaca para los fideos al pomodoro!!!

      Delete
    3. Por su puesto! Y queda riquisimo! Como la que hacia la nona grande!

      Delete