I have recently made two dresses out of granny squares and i wanted to share with you How to make this easy, simple and yet beautiful crochet square.
I have to say that this is my first crochet pattern tutorial and I hope that more are coming as I shine and polish my "crocheteer" skills in the future.
I must say that there are different ways to accomplish the same results...this is the way I do it and the one I find the easiest.
This is one of the dresses I made. It is all made out of granny squares and just added some ruffles on the sleeves. She loved it and she does look gorgeous in it.
Basic Granny Square
- 1Crochet hook that fits the thickness of your yarn
- 3 small pieces of yarn color of your choice.
- Tapestry needle to weave in the ends
Rnd. 1: With color "A" Ch 4. (This counts as center stitch and first dc)
2dc in 4th ch from hook, ch 2, *3dc in same sp, ch2* repeat 2 more times. Sl st on top of initial ch4. Fasten off.
Rnd.2: Join color b in any of the ch2 spaces from the previous row. (We'll call these "corners")
- Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2dc, ch 2, 3dc in same space. Ch1.
- *In next corner from previous row 3dc, ch2, 3dc all in same sp. Ch1*
- Repeat 2 more times from *...* sl st on top of initial ch3. Fasten off.
Rnd3. Join color "C" in any corner.
- Ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc all in same sp. Ch1.
- 3dc in next ch1 spce from previous row. Ch1
- *3dc, ch2, 3dc all in next corner. Ch1
- 3dc in next ch1 spce from previous row. Ch1*
- Repeat from *...* 2 more times. Sl st on top of initial ch3.
- Fasten off.
Here is a variation with a flower which I hope to post how to make soon.
Once you get a hang of the basic pattern... the sky is the limit! You can make blankets, tops, bags...you name it! Hope you have fun with it.
See you soon!